12.13.2011

Thinkpad T420 and Arch Linux

I finally got Archlinux installed on my T420 without much of a headache.

Hardware and General Notes:
I turned off the Nvidia card (I have optimus on this laptop) and I am currently running with only the integrated Intel HD 3000 card. I used the xf86-video-intel driver for the card and everything works great. Sometime in the future I'm going to try to get Bumblebee working.

Sleep is working great.

I haven't tested the webcam or microphone.



thinkpad-acpi:
thinkpad-acpi gives you all kinds of nifty tools to use for controlling different aspects of the Thinkpad series laptops.

This comes default with most kernels (it comes with Arch anyway.) To enable it edit /etc/rc.conf with your favorite text editor and under the MODULES section add the following:
MODULES=(thinkpad-acpi)

Now (probably after a restart) you should be able to control some of your thinkpad's hardware. One of my favorite things is controlling the thinklight through the command line using the following commands:
echo 255 > /sys/class/leds/tpacpi\:\:thinklight/brightness
echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/tpacpi\:\:thinklight/brightness

This will toggle the thinklight on and off. There are all sorts of uses for this in bash scripts etc. There is a nice plugin for pidgin that uses the Thinklight and flashes whenever someone sends you an IM. A nice little addon.

No comments:

Post a Comment